Monday, July 16, 2012

From the Beginning...

Have you felt the excitement when you’ve gotten the keys to your first home?  Imagining all the possibilities, designs, furniture that you can fill in that space?  Yup, I felt that way too! I was extremely excited; extremely busy flipping through the pages of home magazines to get inspirations.  It’s our first biggest purchase! After so many weeks of shopping for our home, I realized that purchasing the place was just the beginning. There’s still much more work to be done!  (Not to mention that we’ve already emptied a huge portion from our bank accounts after putting down 20% down payment for our house.)   X0

I thought it was a good idea to log my progress doing up our place. Blog my blood, sweat and tears in the DIY work I’ll be embarking on. Also, I do hope that readers can benefit from my experience for their homes too.

Just some of the basics so that you know where I’m starting from:
  • It’s a resale property
    • Unlike new properties that come with new flooring and new fixtures & fittings (since it’s new, it’s not worth to hack off and re-do the place), you have a choice to change almost everything if your budget permits.
    • We were pretty lucky. The place which we shopped for was well maintained by the previous owner.
  • Best for first time home owners with a budget to keep to for renovation and big ticket items.
  • Best for home owners not rushed by time to shift in ASAP. 

Oh, one more thing, if you are on a tight budget, forget about interior design firms and be prepared to do most of the work yourself. I wasted about 2 weeks running about and asking for quotations. SO, if you’re not prepared to pay, don’t waste your time looking for designer firms.

Having a designing company saves you the hassle of coordinating the renovation and liaising with several contractors, plus you don’t have to crack your head to come up with ideas or decide matching colours & textures to suit your theme. However, it does come with a hefty price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment