Day #02 & #03 of Dismantling
I took 2 days break to rest my poor fingers & hands. I had stiff fingers and muscle cramps in my fingers after day #01. First time in my life ever! Usually it's muscle cramps on major muscles if I suddenly start exercising vigorously after a sedentary lifestyle. I think callouses will start forming soon... Urg!
Remember I got stuck the last time? It's really not that hard. The joining were hidden underneath the foam sponge. So to get to them (un-stapling at joining), I just had to remove the foam sponge. Take a look at the process:
There it is!!
I started off by pulling out the fabric from behind (back rest cover) to the front to get ready and yank it off. Before that, the back rest cover was also secured by buttons, so I un-staple them behind. Lots of work have the be done on the back before removing the fabric on the front.
Buttons are out!
I realized that the foam sponge is glued on. Both seat cushion and back rest. Take caution if you want to reuse them. If the foam is stuck on too strongly, it may rip if you use force. I had a cutter in handy to release areas that got stuck too much.
Now the back rest foam is also gone. See that back rest lining? It's probably some scrap material that the previous upholsterer had and used. That has to be un-stapled as well.
I set these aside as reference.
After the back rest cover was removed, I realized one thing. There was another fabric lining the edges of the wooden frame. They were in fact the previous material that was used as the sofa cover. My assumption is that this sofa had been upholstered before. The previous upholsterer didn't bother the un-staple the edges. He/She just cut it off and stapled over them.
Bummer, which means more work for me!!
I've already unstapled the original first layer. See the edges? Clean.
Next, un-staple the lining on the seat section. Now revealing the support below.
This is really right to the bone. Seems that the support below is still strong enough, so I'll be keeping that. Perhaps I'll add some webbing weaving through it to re-enforce the strength. Lastly, I'm also considering changing the webbing on the back rest. They are made of rubber, so some has already started to disintegrate.
All the covers & sponges kept as reference when I change to a new piece.
That's it for today. I'm beat and my hands and fingers feel sore again. Plus with all the bending and squatting, it's really bad for my back and knees. This time, I have to source for some professional upholstery tools. I'm not going to invest in a staple gun and compressor just yet, so the traditional method - nails and hammer, will be preferred now.
Worse case, I may purchased these professional tools online if I can't find them locally.
Wish me luck again. I need lots of it! :)